The Mendocino Grain Project
Farm to Mill in Mendocino County
The Mendocino Grain Project is looking for a Field Coordinator/ Farmer to join our passionate and dedicated team.
This position will coordinate and execute:
- Crop planning (organic wheat, rye, and rotation crops)
- Organic fertility management
- Equipment operation (Field cultivation, seeding, weed management, harvest)
- General equipment care and maintenance (tractors, field equipment, combines)
- Grain cleaning (post harvest processing at warehouse in North Ukiah)
This position is year-round and will coordinate and participate in 60+ acres of dryland grain production in Redwood Valley and Ukiah as well as 100+ acres of custom combine harvest in Lake, Mendocino, and Sonoma counties.
The ideal candidate will have multiple seasons of farming experience including experience with tractor and equipment operation. Organic farming experience is preferred.
Relationship building: Maintain good relationships with landowners and the local farming community as well as seek and pursue new land-lease relationships as needed.
Developing training materials: Create written record of regular field tasks to support curriculum development for Grain School and the ongoing education of new grain farmers.
- Knowledge of various aspects of field management and equipment operation (will be trained on specialized equipment such as the combine harvesters).
- Skills: Attention to detail, safe equipment operating practices. Ability to make decisions under pressure. Highly organized, long range planner. Basic computer use.
- Capabilities: Flexible team player and collaborator, ability to work well with a variety of people, comfortable inventing and experimenting with new systems and practices, ability to handle multiple projects and fields well. A sense of humor is helpful.
- Conditions: Strong interest in and commitment to soil stewardship and best ecological farming practices. Commitment to the mission of The Mendocino Grain Project.
This position will report to owner/ operator of The Mendocino Grain Project and will work closely with the founder/ previous owner of the business to successfully transition knowledge of field management and equipment operation.
Employee status: This position is full time, year-round, salaried. Begins Feb. 15 or when filled.
Seasonality: Though this position is year-round, the nature of this work is highly seasonal. The busiest times for the field coordinator will be any dry window in the spring (Jan – April) when planting occurs, and August (the beginning of harvest) through the end of the year. Opportunity for off-season flexibility.
Salary 30K – 35K (eligible for 5K harvest bonus)
About the Mendocino Grain Project:
The Mendocino Grain Project is a woman-owned company located in Mendocino county, California. We grow organic grains, custom harvest and process grain for other farmers, and mill flour for local and regional sales.
We are a little business with a big vision that began in 2009. We believe that producing grain and other staple crops locally can allow us to make ecologically appropriate farming choices, provide food security for our region, and support the local economy.
We also believe that when compared with commercial white flour, freshly milled whole grain flour provides measurably better nutrition and health benefits to those who consume it. Working with The Mendocino Grain Project means being part of a dedicated, passionate team.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.