Website The Land
The Land Farm is an educational non-profit farm.
The Land Farm is an educational non-profit farm located on 160 acres at the headwaters of the Navarro river in Mendocino County, Northern California.
There are 2 acres of organic cultivated land that include intensive vegetable, cut flower and medicinal plant production and over 50 varieties of fruit and nut trees. We incorporate a multiplicity of climate resilient and soil/carbon building production methods including Organic, French BioIntensive, Low/No-Till and Permaculture models in a evolving farmscape.
The Land is looking for an Assistant Farm manager to join our team. The position is part- time, 2-4 days per week with the possibility of transitioning to full-time during peak season spring and summer.
As an Assistant Farm Manager, you’ll work under the direction of the Farm & Land Manager in all aspects of organic vegetable, herb and medicine production from seed to harvest.
– weeding, cultivating and maintaining a variety of beautiful, edible gardens. 1
– fruit tree pruning, seasonal deadheading, organic foliar spray applications.
– identifying and problem solving for pest management, applying IPM practices for organic pest control.
– helping with daily and/or biweekly harvest of fruit, vegetables, herbs, and edible flowers in conjunction with Farm Manager and The Land kitchen staff.
– Test and adjust irrigation systems and make minor repairs, as needed.
– Assisting with diverse greenhouse vegetable start seedling production, daily watering, plant cuttings propagation.
– Maintaining Native California and perennial plant nursery care and monitoring including watering, pest management, repotting, accurate plant records keeping.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIREMENTS:
– Must have 2-5 years or more experience working in the following:
– Greenhouse plant management
– Commercial production growing organic herbs and vegetables
– micro or petite greens
– Knowledgeable of basic organic vegetable production including soil science, general nutrient need of different plant families, weed/pest management, planting procedures, row planting, harvest and post-harvest management.
– Show proficiency in propagation, transplanting and pest/disease management.
– Proficiency with a variety of farm equipment, machinery and hand tools required
– Familiarity with in-ground and raised bed drip and overhead irrigation systems and commonly used irrigation system timers a plus
– Familiarity with basic landscaping tools and equipment
– Ability to lift and carry loads up to 50lbs.
– English language reading, writing, and speaking proficiency
– A positive attitude and willingness to pitch in wherever needed; we are a small non-profit where we all wear many hats.
– A valid CA driver’s license and clean driving record Application Instructions:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “The Land Assistant Farm Manager FIRST NAME LAST NAME”
Submit your name, contact information, and work history as it relates to the desired skills and requirements above. Please be ready to provide references.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com