Website Sierra Harvest
Title: Sierra Gardens Assistant
Reports to: Community Programs Manager
Job status: Part-time, temporary starting March 15, 2021
Location: SH office, Private landowner’s sites in Nevada County
About Sierra Harvest:
Sierra Harvest is a nonprofit dedicated to educating, inspiring and connecting the people of Nevada County to fresh, local, seasonal food. We train dozens of farmers, organize hundreds of community events, and educate over 9500 school children. We envision a thriving local food economy and a network of financially viable farms providing good food for the community, where health and wellness is the norm and people of all ages are engaged in growing, harvesting, preparing, and sharing fresh food. We are creating a place where farmers thrive and residents of all ages have access to nutritious, whole food.
Building on successful models throughout the country, the Sierra Gardens program supports families in growing a portion of their fruits and vegetables at home. Sierra Harvest works with each family or with schools or institutions to build gardens, providing classes, mentoring, and supplies for two years to ensure a successful experience. This will set the stage for a lifetime of home gardening, access to nutritious foods, physical activity and mental health. It will also be a bridge to healthy food choices.
Assists the Sierra Gardens Coordinator and volunteer crew with garden builds, gathering and hauling materials for builds and seasonal start deliveries, site visits and work days
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Promotes the Sierra Gardens program
· Assists will all aspects of garden builds
· Helps with seasonal start deliveries and site visits
· Helps with occasional propagation work
· Helps with irrigation system fixes, compost deliveries, etc
Skills and Qualifications:
· Basic light construction and design skills and ability to adapt skills to many different situations and scenarios
· Ability to operate light equipment such as rototiller and basic power tools
· Ability to drive a Standard transmission truck
· Ability to work amicably and effectively with volunteers and client/participants from diverse backgrounds
· Farming or gardening experience and knowledge of organic methodology with regards to cultivation, propagation, soil fertility
· Has basic knowledge of water systems and drip irrigation
· Can work outside and adapt to variable weather conditions
· Can lift equipment and materials necessary to complete garden builds
· Must have valid drivers license, vehicle registration and personal auto insurance
· Must have a strong alignment with the mission of Sierra Harvest and the ability to communicate, motivate and inspire others about Sierra Harvest’s work with passion
Hours: As needed from 1-15 hours per week seasonally, until a maximum of 260 hours have been completed. Hours are irregular, but with some freedom to set one’s own schedule. Evenings/weekend hours occasionally when needed. Builds are typically on Fridays or Saturdays.
Applications due March 8th, 2021.
Send a resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Start date is 3/15/21.
For additional information call (530) 265-2343.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com