Website Santa Rosa Junior College
The Grazing Technician performs management of rotational grazing in the pastures of Shone Farm; coordinate tree and shrub planting; applies compost; monitors plant productivity and soil health, works directly with student employees; and provides assistance to faculty, staff and students. This position is for the CDFA Funded Healthy Soils Program Demonstration Project at Shone Farm.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
– Manage rotational grazing including determining paddock size, setting up electric fence and moving livestock in accordance with the Shone Farm pasture management plan.
– Operate farm equipment used in pasture management, including tractors and wood chipper.
– Provide direct support for Healthy Soils program demonstrations. This may include events held on the weekend.
– Monitor and document forage productivity, animal stocking rate and residual dry matter.
– Collect soil samples and soil health measurements.
– Coordinate compost application and calculate application quantity.
– Establish and maintain trees and shrubs in Shone Farm pastures, including preparing site for planting, installing protective fencing, and managing trees and shrubs once planted.
– Experience and training with rotational grazing and cattle.
– Experience and training with tractors and farm equipment.
– Ability to follow and understand oral and written instructions;
– Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships;
– Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse population.
This is a temporary, seasonal position that is expected to occur from April 26, 2021 – December 9, 2021.
Twenty hours per week to be worked during 8am – 4:30pm Monday-Friday work week.
Hourly pay at $25 per hour.
Submit a resume and cover letter describing your interest in position and availability
For questions please contact Amy Housman at firstname.lastname@example.org or Connor Murphy at CMurphy2@santarosa.edu.
Applications must be received by March 22, 2021.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com