Website Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County / Wild Willow Farm & Education Center
The Farmer position is located at Wild Willow Farm & Education Center in San Diego’s South Bay. This position is an at-will position and the employee serves at the pleasure of the Executive Director of the Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County (RCD). All RCD employees are required to work collaboratively and to serve as a positive role model for other employees by supporting the mission, vision, and values of the RCD.
Wild Willow Farm is a regenerative farm, utilizing farming practices that prioritize the health of the farmers, the soil, and surrounding ecosystem. In addition to growing food for the local market, the production fields serve as learning and demonstration grounds for regenerative farming practices. Wild Willow Farm is a project of the Resource Conservation District of Greater San Diego County.
The Farmer is responsible for supporting the Farm Manager and Farm Team with the planting, care, and maintenance of 1 acre of vegetable production, 0.5 acres of orchard, and various herbal and flower gardens throughout the property. This position also assists with harvesting, general farm maintenance tasks, and preparation of CSA boxes.
This position requires 25 hours a week and is funded through donations and direct sales of classes, events and sale of produce, herbs, and flowers.
This position will provide general farming support with crop production, maintenance, and harvest activities as directed by the Farm Manager, including but not limited to:
• Bed preparation
• Maintaining the farm’s composing systems
• Harvesting and preparation of orders, such as CSA boxes
• General farm maintenance tasks and repairs
Desire to embrace the mission of the RCD to protect and conserve natural resources.
Knowledge of and experience with farming or gardening, including a practical understanding of:
– Common farm equipment, including seeders, tilther, harvest equipment, etc.
– Plant growth and maturation.
– Irrigation system set-up, repair, and scheduling.
Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds and perform physical tasks associated with farm work.
Be in possession of a current California’s Driver’s License and auto insurance, as well as reliable transportation and experience in first aid.
Must be willing to maintain a flexible work schedule, working weekends and evenings when needed.
Ability to work independently in an outdoor setting during various weather conditions.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Strong work ethic and willingness to learn.
– Knowledge of and experience with regenerative farming practices, including principles of soil health, water conservation, and integrated pest management.
– Ability to utilize technology for efficiency, communication, productivity and coordination.
– Ability to work collaboratively to achieve a shared set of goals.
– Self awareness and emotional intelligence.
Benefits: After successful completion of a 90-day probationary period:
– Health insurance compensation in lieu of health care (prorated if less than 40 hours per week.)
– Participation in RCD 457 retirement plan.
– Phone stipend of $50 per month.
– Ten paid holidays and thirteen days of paid time off (PTO) in your first year of service, rising to eighteen days after the first year (prorated if less than 40 hours per week).
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, age, nation of origin, religion, or citizenship status (if you can legally work in the US). Individuals with physical disabilities are encouraged to apply or to reach out to the RCD at 619-562-0096 with any questions about accommodations.
To apply: Send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are a good fit to Gregg Cady, Farm Manager, at Gregg.firstname.lastname@example.org. Please apply ASAP – we are looking to hire immediately. Interviews will be held starting April 23, 2020.Please call 619-562-0096 with any questions.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com