Website Paicines Ranch
Assistant Manager/Viticulturist for Regenerative, Organic Vineyard
The vineyard at Paicines Ranch is a uniquely designed polyculture with a partial overhead trellis system that allows for grazing of the vineyard throughout the year. This eliminates the need for tillage/mowing/herbicides and encourages a diversity of perennial and annual plants on the vineyard floor.
Paicines Ranch is 7500 acres of holistically managed, certified organic rangeland, irrigated cropland and vineyards located on the central coast of California. Our focus is on how to imagine, design, create and manage agricultural practices that grow and support ecosystem health, are economically viable and inspiring.
In particular we seek an intelligent/hard worker who is creative, open-minded, and skilled in viticulture principles and practices. Applicant should have a passion for working with nature to restore health, diversity and beauty to the natural world.
This position would work directly with the director of vineyard operations and assist with all aspects of the vineyard farming operation including irrigation; disease and pest monitoring, prevention and control; soil health improvements; management of vineyard biodiversity; pruning and training; harvest; yield estimates; equipment care; record keeping; etc.
• Three years or more of related experience
• Openness to new ideas, innovation and experimentation
• Good organizational and practical skills
• Appreciation of and capacity for doing physical work for extended periods of time along with periodic office work
• Ability to work with, train, and mentor workers and apprentices/interns
• Competence in operation of standard transmission vehicles, quads, tractors, and skid loader, and a good driving record
• Experience with organic certification compliance and record keeping
• Private Applicator Certificate or ability to obtain this
• Creative problem solving and decision-making
• Experience supervising workers and apprentices
• Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
• Good communication skills and ability to document and explain work to others
• Computer skills including competency in Excel
• Experience with compliance and record keeping for organic certification and other certifying organizations
Additional skills that would be valuable to this position:
• Bilingual – English/Spanish
• Experience working with livestock (sheep)
• Compensation is dependent upon experience
• Paid time off – vacation, sick leave, and holidays
• 401(k) retirement plan with company matching contributions
• Health Insurance
• Housing on the ranch is a possibility (if single)
(Benefits available after 3 month trial period)
For more information or to send a resume contact Kelly Mulville at: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com