Live Oak Farm
Live Oak Farm is an organic farm committed to regenerative farming practices on a 30 acre property, just outside Petaluma in Sonoma County, CA. The farm just completed its fifth year of operation, cultivating approximately four acres of diverse vegetable production and four+ acres of orchard with apples, pluots, persimmon and pomegranate, soon to be in commercial production. In addition to vegetables and fruit, we also produce medicinal tea and culinary perennial herbs. Already in place is equipment, irrigation, tractors and an excellent farm crew.
Live Oak Farm is seeking a farm manager who will utilize our existing resources while simultaneously bringing fresh ideas, excellent leadership skills and farm business acumen to the operation in order to reach higher levels of productivity, sustainability and regenerative farming practices.
The Farm Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily financial and physical performance of the farm through regenerative agricultural practices, sustained leadership, organizational and business skills. The candidate must possess a deep passion for growing healthy, nutrient dense food, as well as the work, care and time commitment required to lead a financially viable small, organic farm operation.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
● Conduct farm activities which increase soil and crop health with a solid understanding of labor, irrigation and fertility building systems.
● Develop and oversee execution of comprehensive annual farm plan; preform tracking, monitoring and analytics
● Ability to assess labor needs, communicate plans, conduct trainings and create a positive team/work environment
● Ability to communicate with crew members, orchard manager, and owner effectively with an openness to collaboration and transparency
● Superb planning, planning, execution and time management skills
● Ongoing communications/coordination with customers about crop planning and availability, order/pickup scheduling, invoicing and accounts payable
● CCOF renewal, record keeping, and ensuring the farm remains in strong compliance with FSMA and Organic certification.
● Expand customer base with proven sales and marketing expertise; maintain good customer relations with existing customers
● Interest in inquiry and investigation of ongoing best farming practices to maintain a culture of continuous improvement
● Create budgets and manage expenses and profit ratios; provide regular reports to farm owner
● Stimulate farm revenue through effective labor and resource management and increased sales
Quality and Safety
● Highest priority is farmer safety
● Maintain food safety and quality standards during harvest and packing
● Ensure proper use of farm equipment, tools and safety gear. Ensure overall maintenance and upkeep of farmland, equipment and buildings
Knowledge and skill requirements:
● Highly organized and able to identify and execute thoughtful planning and task prioritization even during the height of the growing season.
● Ability to work at a quick pace often under environmentally and physically demanding conditions.
● Proficiency in Excel, ability to create, track and calculate within spreadsheets
● Familiarity with Quickbooks, creating invoices and tracking expenses
● Current CA drivers license and good driving record
Education and experience:
● Minimum of 5 years farming experience; 2 years in a management position
● Demonstrated success in a fast-paced production farm
● Solid knowledge of crops and growing techniques
● Experience operating a tractor and PTO implements
● ‘In-the-field’ Spanish language proficiency strongly appreciated
● Formal education in farming and ag preferred but will consider equivalent work history/training Potential to expand role to include some public presentation and educational opportunities
● Salary is commensurate with experience.
● On-site housing available
● Profit-sharing and long-term partnership/lease opportunity potential
For more information about the farm, visit liveoakfarmpetaluma.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org