Website Coyote Family Farm
Coyote Family Farm is an ecologically-based small market farm specializing in direct sales through our farm share and farmers market. We grow a wide variety of high-quality produce and flowers all year in a beautiful setting at the foot of Sonoma Mountain. Farm crew members have a unique opportunity to engage in a wide variety of farm tasks, from soil preparation to greenhouse propagation to harvest and packing, as well as see the full picture of the business side of the operation. We are community-minded and value our close working relationships on the farm and good communication. Simple on-farm housing is offered as a benefit of employment. Located conveniently halfway between Petaluma and Santa Rosa, and only five minutes from Cotati/Rohnert Park.
We are seeking three energetic, positive field crew members with farm experience to start full-time in March or April. Crew members may have the opportunity to train and take on responsibilities including irrigation management, greenhouse management, and farmers market sales as part of their position(s).
- Full-time (30-45 hours/week) March-November with the possibility of year-round employment
- $13/hr plus housing
- One weekly farm share or equivalent produce (more as available)
Skills and Qualifications
- Motivated to contribute to the success of an ecological market farm
- Experienced with repetitive outdoor work, and ideally has experience on a vegetable farm
- Must be physically and emotionally capable of repetitive physical work in a variety of weather conditions: cold, heat, wind, rain.
- Must be able to lift 50lb occasionally and 30lb regularly without strain.
- Able to follow and retain written and verbal instructions and respond to feedback.
- Able to work as part of a team and communicate in real time about the work at hand.
- Able to work independently and maintain energy and focus.
- Oriented toward efficiency (i.e. actually enjoy working efficiently and considering new solutions)
- Be on time to work each day with weather- and job-appropriate clothing
- Provide your own work boots, work clothes, and rain gear
- Bring a positive attitude to your farm-mates and to the work at hand
- Communicate clearly with fellow crew members and managers; make sure instructions are clear to you and that you are carrying them out to the necessary standard
- Be able to receive and offer feedback graciously
Roles and Responsibilities
- Harvest produce from the field with efficiency and attention to quality
- Wash and pack produce according to farm guidelines and health and safety specifications
- Accurately pack farm share boxes and wholesale orders
- Propagate transplants
- Hand-transplant crops
- Cultivate fields regularly
- Work on bed preparation including compost-spreading, moving large tarps, raking, shoveling pathways, removing small rocks
- Train on and operate walk-behind tractor and implements
- Participate attentively in weekly and daily crew meetings and regular performance review meetings
- Keep accurate records as needed
- Keep workplace clean and organized
Farm crew members will perform a wide variety of tasks on the farm, most frequently harvest, washing and packing produce, packing farm share boxes, seeding in the greenhouse, transplanting, cultivation, and soil preparation. After a training period, crew members will have the opportunity to take responsibility for one or more areas of farm production, depending on aptitude, experience and interest.
Farmers Market Lead
- $13/hr plus housing for field work
- $16+/hr for farmers market day
The Farmers Market Lead will ideally perform farm crew role Tuesday-Friday on the farm in addition to leading set-up and sales at the Saturday farmers market booth (Farmers Lane Plaza in Santa Rosa).
Farmers Market Lead should have all the qualifications needed for the farm crew, plus:
- Must have valid driver’s license, clean driving record, and comfort driving cargo van with no rear windows
- Experience with customer service and cash transactions (i.e. adding up numbers mentally, offering correct change) required
- Exhibit a warm, friendly demeanor while maintaining flow of sales
- Have a working knowledge of a wide variety of produce and the ability to learn new vegetables and serving suggestions quickly
Additional roles and responsibilities
In addition to the roles outlined under “farm crew”:
- Keep farmers market kit clean, stocked and updated
- Keep sales and other records associated with the farmers market
- Accurately and safely pack market van
- Communicate with farm manager about farmers market sales outlet: trends, customer satisfaction, improvements needed
- Clean up/organize van and packing area after market.
- Deliver farm shares on Tuesday afternoons.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following: resume, three work-related references, and a letter describing your interest in the position, your availability, and a brief description of anything else you think we should know in relation to your qualification for the position.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com