Website Connolly Ranch Education Center
The Job Title: Ranch Manager at Connolly Ranch Education Center
Reports to: Executive Director
FLSA Status: Regular Full-Time / Exempt
About Connolly Ranch Education Center:
Connolly Ranch Education Center based in Napa, California is a nonprofit organization committed to connecting children and families to nature through farm-based education and encouraging the next generation of environmental stewards. At Connolly Ranch, kids and families learn about farm life, the role of animals, ecology, sustainability, and an appreciation for nature. We teach organic gardening, the sources and benefits of healthy foods and knowledge of how nature works to sustain us. Connolly Ranch supports a diverse community with more than 10,000 people visiting each year through field trips, family classes, events, early childhood programs, seasonal camps and open farm days.
The Ranch Manager position is a leadership role with Connolly Ranch Education Center and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Ranch Manager is responsible for the overall development and execution of the farm plan, as well as the coordination of the day-to-day upkeep, maintenance and repair of the facilities, grounds and trails, animal husbandry management and the cultivation of the educational garden in a manner that is safe, hygienic and appropriate for providing hands-on, farm-based educational programs.
● Maintain and improve the ranch facilities and utility systems in a safe, functional and attractive manner consistent with organizational values and budget.
● Maintain wild spaces and hiking trails in a safe manner conducive to outdoor education and local weather patterns.
● Address deferred maintenance on the property in collaboration with organizational leadership.
● Serves as project manager or coordinate project managers on major infrastructure upgrades and construction projects.
● Maintain current work plan and schedule for all facilities in collaboration with the rest of the management team.
● Supervise volunteers, student interns, and staff on facility projects and daily chores.
● Purchases/orders and maintains in good working order an inventory of all necessary maintenance supplies and tools.
● Support the development of greenhouse and garden plan in collaboration with education manager to ensure optimal integration of the garden into our educational programs.
● Implement biodynamic and permaculture practices to ensure sustainable organic production of plants. ● Cultivate, plant, and propagate seasonal gardens.
● Manage and maintain composting program.
● Maintain and repair garden beds, hose bibs, irrigation, and plumbing in the garden.
Animal Health and Welfare
● Responsible for monitoring health and balance of all livestock (goats, sheep, chickens, ducks, pigs, donkeys, rabbits, geese, miniature horses) in a manner consistent with our mission.
● Monitor animal diets; orders and maintains feed, bedding and medical supplies; ensure animals are properly fed and conservation methods are used.
● Administer medication, if needed, to animals in a planned and consistent manner and seeks veterinary help as needed.
● Maintain vaccination schedules and official records on livestock health and activities.
● Ensure all animal housing and enclosures are clean, safe and maintained for educational program access and interaction.
● Organize and implement yearly breeding, birthing, hatching and culling schedules in coordination with Ranch educational programs.
Community Engagement & Volunteer Management
● Oversee Creature Comforts Volunteer Program
● Lead farm tours (Farm Friday and others as scheduled)
● Lead community-organizational service projects
● Build partnerships, recruit, and secure, safely host and follow-up with groups.
● Support and collaborate with leadership team to develop community partners and host community events.
● Attend and represent Connolly Ranch at monthly Environmental Education Coalition of Napa County (EECNC) meetings.
Facility Management for Events
● Participate in Event Management Team to support design and execution of onsite annual fundraising and community events.
● Ensure the ability of the ranch to host large events in regard to safety, security, utility needs, program needs, electrical, use of ranch owned equipment, ABC license, proper insurance and take ownership during day of event as POC for venders, delivery of any rentals, facility needs and management of volunteers helping with facility prep and animal care during event.
Management, Leadership & Collaboration
● In collaboration with the Executive Director ensure that the ranch is properly insured, operating within all applicable laws, abides by the lease and any other facility related contracts/leases and ensure that staff is properly trained and supports the reporting/filing of claims of any farm related incidents when necessary. ● Planning & Reporting:
o Development of short and long-term objectives, budgeting, forecasting, monitoring, reporting and staying ahead of day-to-day activities.
o Manage the annual facilities expense budget.
● Work with Executive Director in budget development and implementation related to ranch management.
● Collaborate with education manager and director regarding activity on the Ranch:
o Ensure the Ranch is prepared for daily programing and special events as needed. o Train and orient all staff and volunteers on proper use/treatment of tools and machinery, animals (including daily animal chores) and grounds and facilities, as needed.
● Participate as a member of the Connolly Ranch Educational Center’s Management Team
● Minimum of 5-years equivalent professional training and experience in sustainable agriculture, animal husbandry, and land and facilities management.
● Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or an additional 3-years (total 8 years) of training and experience.
Skills and Qualifications
● Commitment to the mission of Connolly Ranch, environmental education and sustainable farming.
● A highly motivated and independent worker who has the ability take direction as well as to independently problem solve and make decisions, as needed.
● Ability to prioritize tasks as necessary, while considering input from multiple participants and availability of labor and equipment.
● Proven experience in organic gardening, biodynamic farming, and permaculture practices.
● Proven experience in livestock management and animal husbandry including breeding and routine health care.
● Proven experience with carpentry, plumbing, electrical and other facilities maintenance skills.
● Ability to operate and maintain farm machinery and landscape equipment
● Demonstrated experience managing and supervising staff and volunteers, especially with a variety of learning styles or experience levels.
● Willingness to do what it takes to perform emergency repairs when needed. Creativity and flexibility in finding and implementing solutions with facilities and maintenance challenges.
● Flexibility to provide on-duty coverage on weekends and/or evenings as needed and arranged.
● Clean DMV record and valid driver’s license required.
● Ability to work closely and collaborate with a wide variety of people.
● Comfortable working around children
● Good written and verbal communications skills
● Basic computer proficiency and ability to use Microsoft Office and Google Suite
● Ability to lift 50 lbs. and perform strenuous outdoor tasks related to ranch maintenance and construction.
● Successful completion of a background check and periodic screening
● Ability to work in all-weather elements
● Able to sit and work at a computer keyboard for extended periods of time
● Able to stoop, kneel, bend at the waist and reach on a daily basis
● Able to perform general office administrative activities: copying, filing, and keeping electronic records ● Able to lift and move up to 50 pounds
NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required and is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
Compensation: Salary range based on experience is $50,960- 65,000 plus a benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision.
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 14, 2020. Connolly Ranch Education Center is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com