Website Carnation Farms
Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect health, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
Field Manager and Lead Ag Instructor
Full Time, Salaried Position
Reports to: Director of Agricultural Production
Position Summary: Carnation Farms operates an organic farm and livestock operation that serves as the foundation for our Farmer-in-training (FIT) program. We grow new farmers, equipping them with the knowledge and skills they need to make a positive difference in the sustainable production of organic food. We are looking for a hard-working and motivational Field Manager and Lead Ag Instructor to work closely with our Director of Agricultural Production and beginning farmers.
The Field Manager and Lead Ag Instructor mentors and leads beginning farmers in production agriculture with a focus on the annual plan for vegetable and livestock operations, propagation, harvest, planning, postharvest, and distribution to our culinary department, Farmstand, CSA, Farmers Markets, and other wholesale customers.
· Executes and aids in the development of curriculum for the FIT apprenticeship program
· Manages the production acreage by implementing plans generated by the Director of Agricultural Production, to include field prep, planting, harvest, irrigation, and post-harvest.
· Works to build collaborations and partnerships with schools, farms, local organizations, restaurants, growers, and other farm entities in the Snoqualmie Valley and beyond
· Must work effectively and balanced with production, mentoring, and teaching objectives
· Leads farm tours and field walks
· Tillage, Cultivation, Weeding & Thinning (tractors, wheel hoes, stirrup hoes, hand weeding)
· Farmers Markets and CSA distribution
· Assist with Livestock as needed
Other Specific Requirements:
· Have at least 3 years of farm experience in a decision-making role (crew lead, field lead, etc.).
· Minimum 2 years of professional experience teaching or leading trainings.
· Candidates must be committed to the farming lifestyle and all that it demands.
· Attention to detail is critical and a passion for growing food is essential.
· The ability to meet the physical requirements of the position, including lifting heavy objects (50+ lbs.), working outside in all weather conditions, and working around animals.
· Experience/understanding of farming for a non-profit organization
· Completion of a farmer training program, or a 4-year degree in environmental studies, agriculture, or related field
· Comfortable working independently and with an amazing team of peers
· Organizational skills, record keeping, and directing the work of others
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to follow directions and problem solve
· Ability to multi-task and work with a sense of urgency
· Ability to use a computer, email, and excel programs
· Flexibility, sensitivity, strong communication, time-management and people skills are essential.
· Valid driver’s License
· Background check
· $43,000 – $45,000 DOE
· Shared housing if needed
· Vegetables, paid time off, health, dental and vision insurance, etc.
Qualified candidates, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org before January 25, 2021.
28901 NE Carnation Farm Road
Carnation, WA, 98014
To apply for this job please visit carnationfarms.org.