Website Botanical Community Development Initiatives
Improving lives by connecting plants, people, and community.
We are looking for a positive, self-motivated individual interested in agriculture and community
development. This is a 15 hour/week position with opportunity for more hours as the
The Farmer will work alongside the farm team and volunteers to ensure that all crop
requirements are met, property is well-maintained, and volunteers are efficiently managed. The
farm is a 1-acre, no-till, diversified vegetable production operation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a 15 hour a week position with opportunity for more hours as the organization grows.
Community Roots Farm is located in Oceanside, CA. We are looking for a positive,
self-motivated individual interested in agriculture with a community purpose. This position will be
involved with all aspects of diversified vegetable, herb, fruit, and flower production, including but
not limited to:
● Bed preparation
● Fertilizer application
● Soil mixing
● Managing Compost
● Post-harvest, including cleaning, washing, packaging and distribution of harvested
● Irrigation installation and maintenance
● Maintenance of farm tools
● General farm maintenance tasks and repairs
● Record keeping
● Assist in facilitating weekly volunteer days at Community Roots Farm. This includes
set-up, orientation, training, and supervision. This is done in coordination with our
volunteer coordinator. *Note that we currently closed to all volunteers and the public.
● Strong work ethic and ability to perform strenuous physical labor in inclement weather.
● Intermediate computer skills and some proficiency in Microsoft Office.
● Passion for interacting with, educating, and leading a diversity of community participants
and volunteers of varied ages, skills, abilities, and backgrounds.
● Cooperative, service-oriented attitude and ability to work independently and take
initiative, set priorities and see projects through completion .
● Ability to be open and flexible to new ways of working with diverse communities.
● Interest and willingness to learn about small-scale agriculture and participate in both the
physical and mental work farming requires.
● A valid driver’s license
● 2 to 3 years of relevant work experience or a relevant college degree, especially within
the fields of organic/ecological/regenerative agriculture focused on vegetable production
● Technical knowledge and familiarity with irrigation construction, troubleshooting, and
● Tool maintenance and general handyperson skills
● Previous experience leading groups
● Light carpentry and building skills a plus!
● Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus!
Working outdoors with exposure to southern California temperatures. Occasional weekend work
days for special events.
Walking, standing, sitting, climbing, stopping, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and
pushing/pulling up to 50 lbs., cutting, carrying.
To apply for this job please visit www.plantspeoplecommunity.org.