|Job Title:||Farm to Market Specialist|
|Location:||Operates statewide with focus on Central Valley, preferably based near Fresno|
|FTE:||1.0 FTE, Starting Salary: $50,000-$55,000|
|Reports To:||Farm to Market Program Director|
|Start Date:||Early July|
The Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to build sustainable food and farming systems through policy advocacy and on-the-ground programs that create more resilient family farms, communities and ecosystems. CAFF is a membership organization guided by a board of directors that includes family farmers and others who are passionate about food, farming and the environment. CAFF runs Regional Food Systems projects such as Farm to Cafeteria projects, Climate Smart Farming campaigns, and providing technical assistance in accessing new markets to farmers around the state. Our main goals are to increase the economic viability of California family farmers and to connect communities with their local producers. See https://www.caff.org for more information.
The Farm to Market Specialist works with local farmers and buyers (institutional food service and direct markets), and food hubs/distributors to increase access to, and demand for, local product. The Farm to Market Specialist helps farmers build their capacity to enter institutional and direct markets, providing ongoing training and technical assistance to both farmers and food service operators on supply chain logistics, regulations, and best practices for Farm-to-Market sales.
This position will also work with regional partners to lead farmer-to-farmer programming in the Central Valley, organizing the local farm community while providing boots-on-the-ground for our organization’s many services, outreach and advocacy efforts. This program will (primarily, though not exclusively) focus on historically underserved farm communities in the Central Valley of California, including farmers of color and women-owned farms. Farmer organizing keeps local farmers and farm supporters updated on resources available to them, primarily through gatherings. The Farm to Market Specialist will help gauge the needs and concerns of farmers, make connections to foment collaboration from local groups, and generally keep an ear to the ground.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Farm to Market Project Management:
Bachelor’s Degree in Food Systems, Sustainable Agriculture, Sociology, Economics or equivalent preferred
- At least 2 years of professional experience in the food procurement/distribution field preferred
- Experience working directly with farmers
- Outgoing sales and marketing strategy
- Experience working with nonprofits strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Fluent English and Spanish language skills are required.
- Passion for sustainable agriculture, local food and family farms and a general understanding of related issues.
- Existing connections and familiarity with the local farm community, in particular with the Latinx and Southeast Asian farming communities in the Central Valley, preferred.
- Demonstrated skill in supply chain systems; agricultural production; direct marketing channels; food distribution, and the food service industry.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Basic event planning skills
- Ability to think strategically to develop and implement program goals and objectives
- Strong relationship builder, outgoing and eager to make connections and grow the program
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision, as well as collaborate with others in a team setting
- Ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously with occasional weekend and evening commitments
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Excel; proficiency in platforms like Salesforce, Dropbox, and Google Suite
- Applicant must have access to transportation to enable frequent travel throughout the region and beyond. Must be able to provide valid driver’s license and valid auto insurance.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time working at a computer.
- Requires a full range of physical mobility, such as bending, stooping, lifting, turning, carrying objects, and grasping.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three references with the subject line “Farm to Market Specialist” to email@example.com. We are reviewing applications immediately with a start date target of July 15th.
CAFF’s policy is that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, or sexual orientation