Featured Partner

Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co.

By Sayla Elsbree-Kraft

Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co.Bob and Dean Giacomini originally bought their land in 1959 to start Robert Giacomini Dairy. They raised their four daughters Jill, Lynn, Diana, and Karen on this farm. The daughters were not interested in taking over the dairy farm when they were younger, but when they returned to the farm after college they endeavored to start making artisan cheese out of the milk.

Bob always wanted to process their milk, but didn’t have time. In August 2000, they launched the cheese company with their Original Blue – they are now most known for this cheese. They grew the business and now 95% of their milk is used for cheese. The other 5% still gets sold to Clover to maintain their relationship, making it possible for the family to close their processing facility for holidays and make use of any excess milk. They milk about 400 Holstein cows that graze on 720 acres of land in Point Reyes. They now have four nationally distributed cheeses – Original Blue, Fresh Mozzarella, Toma, and Bay Blue. Their father is still actively involved and is on the farm every day that he can be.

Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co. also runs a culinary and educational center called The Fork. Since they started the cheese company, they spent 10 years envisioning an educational center where people could come and learn where food comes from.

At The Fork they have a public calendar of events, and anyone can sign up for them. Every event they have is at least a four-hour experience that ends with a meal or a practical take-away. From May to October, they host a farm tour series that are educational and intended to bring consumers closer to the farm. They are highly committed to showcasing other farmers because they feel that they are “simply a part of a bigger movement.” They consider that they are not self-servicing to just their own brand because they want to support their local community. The facility that The Fork is based out of is also used for private group and nonprofit events.
They also make countless donations. They love helping out young farmers and start-ups, and anything having to do with children and youth education. Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co. donated cheese to several of CAFF’s Celebrate the Solstice fundraiser dinners – including this most recent one on June 18, 2016.

Thank you to the Point Reyes team!

For more information about Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Co., visit their website.

 

 

 

Save

Save

Save

Save

Download mp3